Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Girl Scouts to Savannah

Last Thursday, Reagan and I took a trip to Savannah with her Girl Scout troup- twenty-nine of us (17 girls) in all. The girls earned the entire trip through their cookie sales. So, thanks to all of you out there who bought from us. We stayed at a hotel that caters to the Girls Scouts. There was a "Girl Scout suite" where all the kids slept with the leaders, and the other moms slept in rooms on the same hall. I've got to admit, I wasn't super keen on the idea of going with the troup, but it ended up being GREAT fun!

Thursay morning ready to depart
We stopped in Meter, GA, for a fill-up at a service station that had all these farm animals.
This guy was our favorite. You cannot look at this creature without smiling.


Day one we went down to River St. and took the ghost tour. Savannah's history is rich with ghost stories.

Reagan with our "tour guides"


The girls before the tour-The after picture of some of them wasn't so pretty. A few got "spooked".


Ok-I know this is dark, but if you look very closely on the right middle of this shot, you'll see a white circle. According to the tour guide, these are called orbs (spirits). It's a bit creepy when you know that to the right of the vehicle in the picture is a grave yard. You be the judge.


Day two was slam packed! We first visited the Juliette Gordon Low House. All you Girl Scouts will know that she is the founder of Girl Scouts. Next, we visited the Andrew Low House, her husband's homeplace. Then, we took a Pirate Walking Tour. Finally, we went to the Savannah History Museum.
Reagan at Juliette's birthplace

This plant is in the courtyard of the J.G.L. House. It's called a Century Cactus. It is 19 years old and blooms only one time each year. It was MASSIVE. The reason I found it so interesting is because I just planted one in my flower bed not knowing how big it would get. It made me think of the plant from Little Shop of Horrors. FEED ME!

The whole crew at the J.G.L House

Reagan and Calico Jack-This guy would not come out of character for anything. The girls were smitten with him.

Day three- The girls went to the Marine Science Center at Tybee Island. Only five chaperones were allowed to join the group, so the remainder of us HAD to sit on the beach. Darn!
While the girls were exploring marine life with Jordan, the marine biologist, they found a sharp nosed shark that washed up on the beach. Of course, Reagan is now considering a career in marine biology.
After the beach, we went to Fort Pulaski. It was a Civil War fort. They actually fired the cannons and muskets.

Reagan and Lauren, her bunkmate for the trip

After Fort Pulaski, we got dressed up to go on a mother/daughter date on River Street. We ate a wonderful dinner at Fiddler's, shopped for souvenirs, and strolled along the waterfront. A funny note for those who've been to Savannah, and especially those who went with us last October, the guy in the green cut off shorts and white shirt was down there. I thought I would crack up.
The fourth day was the best in my opinion, but unfortunately, I didn't have my camera to capture the fun. Hopefully, one of the other moms will send me pics soon that I'll post. We went on a dolphin sight seeing cruise. The dolphins came right up to the boat! It was amazing! Also, Reagan got to feeling a little sea sick, so she got to sit with the captain and drive the boat.

8 comments:

Griner Mom said...

What a fun trip! So glad you got to go. Amazing that with all your family does you have time for girl scouts!!! Great post!!

Mandy said...

You are LYING to us.....the guy in the green shorts was there? In the same outfit??? Bless it! I'm glad you ended up having a fun trip - looks like you packed in quite a bit!

Courtney said...

What a fun trip for the two of you! Reagan is so sweet and cute...

Maddie said...

Glad you had a great trip! Savannah is such a fun city to visit.

Ryan said...

We grew up going to Tybee...it's a great trip. So glad you had fun. I bet the ghost tour was fun. History and legends are so interesting. Glad you had such a special weekend with your Reagan!!!

King Family said...

What a great trip for you and Reagan. I am sure that will be a special memory for her. I can't believe the guy in the green shorts was there!

Heather said...

I had no idea ya'll went until I was talking to Romeo last night @ church. Hope Reagan feels better soon. :(
Romeo told me about the guy in the green shorts.....that is hilarious!!!!!!! We have to look for him every time we go now!

Jana said...

So glad you guys had a great time. Can't believe Mr. I-dare-to-wear-short-shorts was still hanging around. Wonder about his winter attire?